Tech vocabulary

A forum to discuss expanding the Láadan language, such as adding vocabulary.
Rachel
Site Admin

Tech vocabulary

Post by Rachel » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:18 am

Lately I've been trying to come up with vocabulary for technology and software-based stuff. If I make some games or apps in Láadan, it'd be good to have a standardized vocabulary for the "OK", "back", "cancel", types of buttons, or in games, "play", "help", "controls", etc. - I really love the Komputeko dictionary for Esperanto, so it'd be nice to have a similar resource in Láadan.

I'm storing CSV files of suggested new vocabulary here: https://bitbucket.org/ayadan/laadan-dic ... w%20words/ but here are my ideas so far. Let me know what you think. I can put these in the dictionary with an "unofficial" marker or something like that if we are good with these words.

Internet
There is a word for network (shenidal), and there's a word for wire (widáahith), but putting those together would be really long... widáahitheshenidal. My second try is wohoshenidal, where woho=all, so an "all-network". But maybe not descriptive enough? I was thinking "this can connect the entire world.". Globe is "thamehal" and Earth is "thera", so maybe even therashenidal would be good.

Computer game
This one's easy - we have words for Computer and Game, so I'm just translating it as shinehaleshida (shinehal=computer, shida=game)

Electronic
The word for lightning bold is literally "snake-light", and the word for computer is "two-work", so going with that my word for electronic is shinith (shin=two, ith=light).

Email
I couldn't find a word for mail, even, so I came up with one. For mail, I went with melimedi (mel=paper, im=travel, di=talk). So, for e-mail, my word is shinimedi (shin=two, im=travel, di=talk), OR shinithimedi (shinith=electronic, im=travel, di=talk).